Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Easy Breakfast Pancakes

I love lazy Sundays. And the perfect breakfast for a lazy Sunday is Pancakes of course. I used to make pancakes out of a box before. But now that I have this recipe, no more pancakes out of a box for me. I tweaked the pancake recipe a bit and added some Barley flour to it. This kind of made the pancakes a wee bit dense but still very fluffy and also added a subtle nutty flavour to them.

Once I had my pancake mix ready I realised that I had no maple syrup or honey to go with my pancakes. I went and made them anyway and had them with strawberry jam. Hubby had them with cream cheese and ham. I wouldn't try that combination with these slightly sweet pancakes, but he seemed to love it so much, he had two of those.





Easy Breakfast Pancakes

Yield: About 8 Pancakes

1 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Barley Flour
3 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 1/4 cups Milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons Butter (softened)

Sieve the flours, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Add in the sugar and mix well. Mix in the butter, preferably by hand so that you mix and loosen the flour a bit. At the end of this you should get a slightly dense dry flour mixture. Whisk in the milk and eggs and set aside.

Grease a hot pan with a little butter so that the pancake mix does not stick. Pour or spoon out about 50 ml or 3 tablespoonfuls of pancake mixture onto the greased pan on medium heat. When you see the sides of the pancake looking a bit cooked it's time to flip it over. You should probably give it about 3 minutes a side. 

Yummy pancakes are ready for a hearty breakfast and if you're out of maple syrup they go down just fine with strawberry jam. Just don't try it with cream cheese and ham. I have another recipe for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment