Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Buttered Mustard Salmon




I first heard the words ‘Dijon Mustard’ on Masterchef Australia. Before that I thought mustard was just mustard, which is the common Yellow Mustard that we use in our sandwiches and hot dogs. 

Personally I love mustard, and if you really like mustard then you should try some Dijon Mustard. It has got a much powerful flavour, and by powerful I mean a quarter of a teaspoon might clear your sinuses.  A concise description of Dijon Mustard is on wisegeeks


There had been a bottle of Dijon mustard on my shelf for a few weeks now and I was wondering how to use it. So I tried a simple marinade for some Salmon that I had just bought. If you want to cook dinner in under 20 mins, then you should try this.





Buttered Mustard Salmon
3 filets of Salmon (375gms)
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
¼ tsp Thyme (dried)
1 tsp Basil (dried)
2 ½ tsp Butter
½ tsp cracked pepper
Salt to taste

Mix the Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a wide dish.
Dip the salmon filets in the marinade and place them skin side down, if they have skin. Sprinkle the thyme and basil over the filets. You can refrigerate for about an hour before cooking, if you like.


To cook the fish I used a non-stick pan which is about 9 inches wide; I could fit two filets in it.
Heat your pan on high, put in 1 tsp of butter to grease it. Place the salmon filets skin side down in the pan. 

Put a tsp of butter on top of each of the filets. Also, spoon some marinade from the dish on top of the filets. 

Reduce to a medium heat, put the lid on the pan and cook for about 10 mins. 
The cooking will leave a flavoured butter in the pan; pour this butter over fish while serving.

I made an easy Mustard Pasta Salad to go with the fish. You can find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment