Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

South Indian Egg Curry



Being Mangalorean I love my coconut based curries. However since I have no blender yet and cannot grind my own masalas I have to rely on a my creativity a little bit.
This egg curry masala is based on one that Mama makes, but I have put my spin on it. Traditionally these would have have whole spices roasted and ground with freshly grated coconut but I have used ready made powders and coconut milk.





South Indian Egg Curry
4 Hard Boiled Eggs
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tsp Tamarind paste
1 medium Onion (very finely chopped)
1 tomato
2 tsp Ginger & Garlic paste
2 tbsp oil (Vegetable or Coconut oil)
A few curry leaves
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
300 ml Coconut Milk
Salt to taste

The Masala Mix
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
2 tbsp oil
Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl and keep aside.

In a pan pour the oil, and when its heated add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. When the mustard starts popping add in the onions. Fry till they are translucent, then add in the masala mix, ginger garlic paste and tamarind paste. Fry for about 10 mins on medium heat. Then add in the chopped tomato and salt and fry for a further 10 mins. All this frying brings out the flavour actually.
Add the coconut milk, mix well and bring to a boil.
Then add in the boiled eggs halved. Check for salt and add if needed. Cook for about 10 mins and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment